Why You Should Contact a Car Accident Lawyer After an Accident
If you’ve been in a car accident, you may think that it is not worth the time involved to contact a car accident lawyer. After all, the damage to your car was minor and you didn’t need any medical attention; so what’s the point?
While there is no legal requirement to retain the services of a lawyer after a car accident, it is a good idea to speak with one, regardless of how much money or damage was involved.
What Types of Car Accidents Can Lawyers Help With?
No matter what type of accident you’ve been involved in, your lawyer will ensure that you get the maximum compensation to which you are due. Car accident lawyers represent victims of all of the following types of accident:
- Fender Benders: Even minor accidents can cause unforeseen problems in the future.
- Head-on Crashes: This type of accident is always scary, as you can see the car coming before it hits you. These are generally high-energy collisions that can cause a lot of damage for the people and vehicles involved.
- Rollover Accidents: Getting hit at a certain angle can send your car into a spiral. These types of accidents can result in severe injury or even death.
- Multiple Car Collisions: While not always a major accident, accidents involving multiple vehicles are complicated simply due to the number of people and vehicles that are impacted.
- And Many More.
What Steps Should I Take After a Car Accident?
Your car accident lawyer will help you through the process from start to finish. He or she will ensure that you take all of the following necessary steps while protecting you from insurance representatives and lawyers for other drivers involved:
- Get Evaluated by a Doctor. Your lawyer will more than likely advise that you be seen by a doctor as soon as possible after the accident. This way, the doctor can ensure that you are healthy and free from serious injury, and provide documentation that may be useful later on in your case. Your health is the first priority and skipping this step is not a good idea.
- Report the Accident to the Police. You’ll want to make a detailed police report to make sure that there is an official record of your version of events. Also, you’ll want to have a police officer on the scene as soon as possible to serve as an extra witness to the accident.
- Obtain Evidence. In the digital age, there is often a preponderance of evidence available to you. There will likely by video footage, photos, and eyewitness testimony that can prove invaluable as your case moves forward. If you are unable to complete this step yourself, your lawyer can handle this part of the process.
Car accidents can be tricky situations with a lot of moving pieces. There will be many people such as insurance company representatives who will attempt to get you to settle your case for far less than it’s worth. Don’t let this happen. Call a car accident lawyer today. No matter what your case is worth, they will fight for you.